A comprehensive dental examination will be performed by Dr Gutierrez at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following;
X-rays of the Mouth
- Essential for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.
- X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions
Oral Cancer Screening
- Evaluation of the face, neck, lips, tongue,
Gum disease Evaluation
- Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
Examination of Tooth Decay
- All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments
Examination of Existing Restorations
- Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following;
Removal of calculus
- Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
Removal of plaque
- Plaque is a soft, sticky film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Remove the stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and cleaning.